Madison Dental Coverage Provider Explains the Power of Periodontics
Momentum Insurance Plans, Inc. serves as a complete resource for individual dental insurance as well as Madison group dental insurance plans. Beyond providing the best dental insurance Wisconsin has to offer, our dental insurance provider offers the most up-to-date information on dental policies, as well as provide oral health tips and dentistry news to ensure you stay happy, healthy and fully insured. Unlike so many Wisconsin dental insurance companies, Momentum Insurance Plans, Inc. genuinely cares about the personal wellbeing of our policy holders.
Your mouth is a constant breeding ground for bacteria, infection and disease. Eating, drinking, smoking, pregnancy, genetic predisposition and poor oral hygiene all contribute to compromised oral health. Failing to establish and maintain good oral hygiene can cause much more damage than yellow teeth and receding gums. In fact, studies have shown poor oral hygiene directly affects many other parts of your brain and body as well.
Below is a list of certain medical conditions which have been attributed to lack of proper oral health care:
- Heart Disease
- Periodontal Disease
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Trouble Conceiving
- Preterm Birth
- Low Birth Weight
Conversely, your mouth can provide marked signs of existing health conditions which may not have been medically diagnosed yet. Coloring, recession, lesions and bleeding can all point to a serious medical condition, such as diabetes, HIV/AIDS, osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s or immune deficiencies.
Dental Care: Grin and Bear It
Good oral hygiene is critical in maintaining the health of your brain and body. Whether you’re 1 or 101, your mouth mirrors your overall health. It is important to understand the benefits of good oral health as well as understanding the proper ways to achieve a clean and healthy mouth.
Below is a list of dental care tips and tricks to get you on the right track to optimal oral health:
- Floss Daily—Floss between EVERY tooth, while wiggling the floss in and around the tooth. Sometimes it takes flossing between the same two teeth twice to remove a stubborn food particle. Without flossing, many smaller particles will remain stuck between teeth (even with brushing), causing unsightly stains.
- Brush Twice Daily—The most common mistake many people make is brushing too hard, which results in receding gum lines and diminished tooth enamel. Instead of holding your toothbrush with your fist, hold it like a pen. This little trick will immediately resolve brushing too hard while still providing proper teeth cleaning.
- Mouthwash—Mouthwash with fluoride is ideal for rebuilding and strengthening tooth enamel. Fluoride mouthwash should be swished vigorously once daily without rinsing afterward. Eating, drinking and smoking should be avoided for at least 30 minutes following the fluoride mouthwash treatment. Due to the rinsing restrictions, fluoride mouthwash is ideal for using right before bed.
- Retainers—Retainers help keep teeth properly aligned and also prevent teeth grinding. Most dentists and orthodontists can quickly create a custom retainer to fit your mouth. When wearing your custom fitted retainer, make sure the edges cover your teeth but do not exceed your gum line. Retainers which don’t fit properly can cause gum recession. If the retainer edges extend past your gum line, simply trim the edge with a set of sharp manicure scissors and file away any plastic threads. If you’re not comfortable taking retainer trimming into your own hands, a dentist or orthodontist will usually do this for you at no cost.
- Dental Cleanings and Checkups—Regular dental cleaning and checkups are important to identify any existing or early signs of problematic oral conditions. Dental cleaning and checkups should be scheduled about 1-3 times a year. Dental x-rays should be performed every 1-2 years depending on your oral health history.
- Teeth Whitening—Over the counter teeth whitening can be extremely harmful to those with sensitivity issues. For safe, effective and painless DIY teeth whitening, vigorously swish a capful of hydrogen peroxide for no more than 30 seconds (those with hypersensitive teeth should only swish for 10 seconds). DO NOT SWALLOW. Another great solution for easy at home teeth whitening is to mix baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and swish or brush, depending on the consistency you choose. At home teeth whitening should be limited to once a week to limit sensitivity issues.
Wisconsin Dental Insurance Provider Fills the Cavity in Oral Health
Momentum Insurance Plans, Inc. understands why so many people dread the dentist. Aside from regular teeth cleanings and dental checkups, our Madison dental insurance provider strives to keep you out of the dentist chair as much as possible. Providing you with the most complete resource for optimal dental care while delivering the best Madison individual dental insurance coverage ensures you stay happy, healthy and fully insured. Whether you need private dental insurance or employer dental insurance, Momentum Insurance Plans, Inc. we’ll be there to provide you with the reliable dental coverage you deserve.
Momentum Insurance Plans, Inc. specifically caters to the Madison and Dane County communities, including, but not limited to Fitchburg, Verona, Middleton, Sauk, Sun Prairie and Marshall.